Monday, February 22, 2010

I wanted to show you what I did with my sad looking couch over the week end. This couch is probably about 13 or 14 years old and it's the only cushioned seating in my house. Therefore, it gets used and used and used........ It was (is) a good quality couch and just needed some TLC.

It had lost some of it's oomph and the cushions were showing signs of being squashed and were unable to rebound. I read somewhere that you could add quilt batting to stuff in the low spots but I thought that would take a whole lot of trouble, a whole lot of batting, and that it would possibly be pretty lumpy.

I went to Joanne's and sorted through all of the foam and batting products and came upon 2" NU-Foam. It's compressed polyester and as I squished the different foams and battings, it seemed the most firm and substantial. OH, and it was much less costly than some of the other foams. My original plan was to add an entire layer of the NU-Foam to the whole top of the cushions and then decided to just add a strip of Nu-Foam to the front of the cushions where most of the wear was showing. I cut a 5" high strip by the length of the cushion fronts.

It was a little bit of a struggle to get the foam strips shoved down to the front of the cushions and then smooth it out evenly. I'll bet the whole process was about 15 minutes for both cushions.





Here's the after shot. It's pretty dramatic for a little expense and a little elbow grease. I don't know how long it will last, but it will be easy enough to do the whole procedure over when it droops again.



Meanwhile, my couch has a new lease on life and I can hold off on buying a new one. I like that!

1 comment: